Thursday 4 February 2016

TPL 2016 My Thoughts.

Will anyone be able to challenge current champions Buriram United? I think not, they seem to be accelerating away, with some astute signings bolstering their squad. I feel that we need to watch out for Bangkok united. They have added to an already successful squad and seem keen to challenge at the top. Muang Thong belatedly raised the bar with the signing of the “Tero trio” however given Tero’s performances last year there is no guarantee that these signings will make much difference.

Other interesting questions to be asked are; how will the much modified Chonburi Sharks fare – will they maintain their top 5 status?  Can Nahkon Ratchasima build on last year’s successes and how will the promoted teams cope.

My tips for first, second and third;
1.Buriram United
2.Bangkok United
3.Muang Thong United

At the other end of the table, one remembers that last year’s 3 promoted teams all survived – due I feel to the rather poor standard of the TPL last year. The relegation battle this year will, in my opinion, involve Navy, Super Power Samut Prakan and perhaps the three promoted teams will struggle.

Many teams seem to have tried to progress with most bolstering their squads with new foreign imports. I suspect that this season will produce a real “slugfest” with “Battles Royal” in the struggle for top five and the fight against relegation.

Whatever happens, I hope that after the trials and tribulations of the close season, the TPL enjoys a successful year with competitive matches watched by bumper crowds. I fear however that many fans will have viewed the actions of the TPL board with disdain and will turn their backs on the domestic game in Thailand.


1 comment:

  1. Bangkok over Muangthong? Give over. I think you're confusing Mario Gjurovski with Jesus of Nazareth. Even Bangkok themselves are only dreaming of third place.

    ReplyDelete